Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wellness

In 2012 I am working on how I speak. Rather than saying depressed, I might say un-well or not-well. I realize that might or might not be grammatically correct but Mark Twain used to say that it was a close-minded person who could only spell a word one way. I say that applies to grammar, too.


I created a Depression Self Report some years back. When I am not well, I sleep a lot. I cry. I have no energy. I don't want to do anything. I don't listen to music. I don't get ready for my day unless I have somewhere I to go. I tend to stay home. And I usually don't reach out to others. Another effective tool to validate my mood is telling someone else a rating on my mood. 10 being fantastic and 1 being suicidal. My husband, Tony and my eldest, Joe support me with this.


So today I am announcing Lisa's Wellness Report and Rating. These are the measures or indicators I recommend the people in my life use to notice how I am doing and give me feedback. Ask me how I am doing because that causes me to be aware of my mood.

  • I wake up without an alarm clock. My dreams are not disturbing.
  • I am eating healthy foods. And drinking lots of water. And taking my fiber daily.
  • I get up and get ready for my day. Fly Lady advice. /http://flylady.com/
  • I exercise at least three days a week, and target up to six days.
  • I attend Yoga at least two days a week. If you are in Dallas, come join me!! http://www.kramayogacenter.com/ 10 am class is my favorite so far.
  • The puppies are walked six of seven days a week. By someone, might or might not be me.
  • I am assisting in some form or fashion. Maybe with Landmark Education, maybe not. I have offered to be a free personal assistant to four friends. If you would like to take advantage of this limited time, free offer, contact me!
  • The state of my home is inviting and we can accept unexpected visitors without embarrassment.
  • My craft room induces completion, fun, happiness and Creativity.
  • I listen to music and have a song stuck in my head almost all the time. This tends to drown out the automatic negative thoughts. 
  • I try to laugh every day. I enjoy comedies as measured by a true LOL: laugh out loud. Tony gets to say if this measure is satisfied or not.
  • I make a difference in my world. This is expressed in several Operative Practices:
    • I say bless you when I hear someone sneeze.
    • I acknowledge people I interact with who provide service. This could be as simple as saying "don't work to hard." I leave public restrooms in a better state than I found them, usually by wiping off the mirror and the front of the sink with the paper towel I used to dry my hands.
    • I flat out work to be great with other people.
  • I unquestionably love my life and am present to the many, many blessings and talents I have.
So now you know the symptoms of Lisa doing Well!

This post may be subjected to modification as needed.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to have a gauge. It is good to know what the right questions are and what is motivating to you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is helpful for all of us to think about ourselves too. i'm glad you are doing yoga. i got your text late last night and then promptly fell asleep before i could even realize i didn't respond. i love yoga, even though it kicks my trash when i do it.

    ReplyDelete